Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wireless Lan Controllers SNMP Traps

Well, it is nice to know after the fact that cisco wireless lan controllers do not send the same information in syslog entrees as they do in SNMP traps. Like User Authentication notices, not in syslog.

So I have an IP address and need to track the username to see what user snuck some bittorrent past my packetshaper block. I grep through all my syslog files and there are no IP addresses, even at the debug level. So now I had to set up an SNMP trap receiver on my linux box as well as syslog server to catch all the needed info.

I also might mention the SNMP traps are horribly ugly, probably purposely so that you will buy WCS or a cisco solution to make them readable. Oh well, it will be 100 years before we get the money for that!

Now if only I could get my logs to rotate properly...

No comments: